Eurovision 2014, Conchita Wurst - A Big Step Up For LGBT Rights

 Eurovision 2014 was always going to be an exciting one. After watching many of the acts on the semi's I had picked a few potential winners before Saturday's final. However last Thursday I had a feeling that Conchita Wurst representing Austria stood a good chance of winning.  I was fascinated and confused, I wasn't sure if it actually was a woman or a man in really good drag. The song itself was fantastic a definite winner. 
 Then came Saturday night, Conchita took to the stage to huge applause, the crowd sang her song along with her and by then I knew that if she didn't win it'd be down to a huge conspiracy. 

Conchita's eurovision victory is a very important win for LGBT rights across Europe. Shockingly we've only just had gay marriage legalised in this country, a big step itself albeit a few decades late. Of course there were going to be uproars following Conchita's win but the uproars came mostly from Russia who are portraying themselves as a very homophobic nation at the moment. In this day and age homophobia should be obliterated. There is no just cause for this anymore. Every country should just accept that now and leave everyone to live their lives the way they want to. 

This newspaper article upset me today 
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/russia-must-leave-eurovision-immediately-following-conchita-wurst-victory--and-set-up-a-straight-equivalent-says-mp-9373940.html

With most of Europe backing Conchita all the way through this contest I really can't see why so much homophobia from one country. It is disgusting behaviour. Which makes Conchita's victory stand out even more. She stands for equal rights for all. I think she was very brave to enter this contest despite the hostile criticism from some countries. I do wonder if some of the people criticising her are trying to cover up their own confusion? I'm not talking about any specific countries but individuals who are criticising her. 
Do many of these hostile critics fancy Conchita only to find she's a man? 
Are the female critics asking themselves some serious questions? 
Conchita is only doing what thousands of people have done before her, she's a class drag act. Just that she's taken it to the next level and good for her. I think she's a brilliant performer, with a great voice. I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't seen the last of her. I think Conchita's win is a very important step up for gay rights across Europe and the world.

Comments

Popular Posts