HMS Bulwark Visits London May/June 2014

 So last week the flagship of the Royal navy sailed into London from Plymouth. It sailed into London as part of the 350th anniversary of the royal marines. Moored at Greenwich with the historic Royal naval college just in front of it it seemed the ideal place. 

Last Wednesday evening the royal navy put on a media presentation in the painted hall at the Old Royal Naval College. It was a 40 minute media presentation explaining what the Royal Navy does, what equipment they use and where they are currently serving around the world. It was a very interesting night followed by a drinks reception. As I don't drink I hung around and had a chat with two sailors. I knew that the ship was open for visitors but it was by ticket only and as they sold out in a matter of minutes getting on the ship would be impossible. The two sailors asked if I was going on board and when I said no they gave me their names and told me to just turn up and tell someone from the ship. Turns out they were the duty PO's in charge. 

On Thursday evening, just after sunset the royal marines and the royal navy put on a sea capabilities demonstration. Demonstrating how they tackle various scenarios at sea. 


HMS Bulwark Before The Sea Capabilities Demonstration 

The boats used......

ACTION! This bit was like something out of a James Bond film. 

In comes the chopper. 
Yes I am quite aware that it looks like the helicopter is sitting on the Shard. 

It was a very enjoyable demonstration and drew quite a crowd. 

So Sunday came around quickly and it was a beautiful, hot sunny day. It was the perfect day to be by the river. I took my Mum along and was a bit nervous as she's not the best on water and can get seasick before a ferry even leaves Dover. We got on one of the small river cruise boats for the short sail across to HMS Bulwark. The boat was very rocky, hot and stuffy and at one point I thought I might be the one getting seasick. 

The Cutty Sark, ontop of it's hideous glass bubble. Taken from the river cruise boat 

Soon we set sail for HMS Bulwark. 
The crossing took a matter of minutes and then we were up on the pontoon. You take a short walk up the gangplank which was a bit like walking on a high wire, quite rickety. We went straight onto the lower deck of the ship. We were then split into smaller groups for the tour. First we had a presentation by two marines who demonstrated how they setup and fire the guns on land. 
Over the other side we was shown some of the amphibious water vehicles that they currently use. 

After this we went to look at the rest of the smaller boats. HMS Bulwark has a door on the lower deck which can be opened whilst at sea. The lower deck then floods so that the smaller vessels can be launched into the sea and onto land. These carry the land vehicles ashore. 
Clever stuff. 

Then to get onto the top deck we climbed a ramp, which usually the tanks and tractors use. Climbing it was no mean feat, it was like climbing a mountain. Imagine the embarrassment when I got to the top before any of the Royal Navy. What can I say I love climbing hills and do it frequently. 
Up on deck was a exhibition of what the royal marines have to carry in their backpacks. It looked like heavy work. They showed us what their food is like when they are away from base and I tell you, I have new found respect for these guys. It looks like it is really tough. 
A few pictures from on deck. It was a great little suntrap. 


The Royal Navy Helicopter 

Imagine my horror when I realised there wasn't a barrier around the edge. Woman overboard anyone??? 
Shameful, deck top selfie.... Not the most flattering. 
A few more of the ship 
The ops room, looked way too technical for me 
Then it was time to leave. We got a cute little boat back to shore. Overall it was a really good enjoyable day. Definitely worth having a look. 




Comments

Popular Posts