Yet More Trips To the Vets

On New Years Eve I said in jest that I hoped 2014 would bring me far fewer trips to the vet. Well never say things on New Years Eve as it feels like all I have done this year is go to the vets. All three of my girls have been in recently. Two of which had surgery. 
Three weeks ago my little princess Sox had to go in for surgery. Now Sox is never ill so it was a very worrying time. Luckily she has come through it and has now been discharged. Then once again it was Phoenix's turn. She's been scratching and pawing at her ears for a while. Last year she did a similar thing and it was earmites. Thinking that was all it was I started giving her ear drops. Then almost two weeks ago I noticed her ear was not looking normal. Inside I found quite a nasty lump. I took her to the vets and it was a Hematoma. He drained it and hoped it'd do the trick. Later that night it was back up. So last Monday she was booked in for surgery. Luckily I have a brilliant vet who I trust completely. She was sedated while I stayed with her again, which is a weird experience, watching your dog get really sleepy. Last time her sedation took a while, this time she went down really fast. Then she was carted off to theatre. 
A few hours later I got the call to say she was ok and she could come home. When I was walking her home she was still stoned. She couldn't walk in a straight line and was really disoriented. Eventually I got her home. Thankfully my Mum was on hand who helped to settle her. Then she just flopped down, rolled her eyes back and was lifeless. She'd stopped breathing. How I managed to stay calm I'll never know. I managed to revive her then after a frantic chat to the vet I walked her back. Luckily the vets is less then a 5 minute walk away. There she stayed for the rest of the day. Well that was last Monday so ever since I've been back and forth every other day for checkups. The little madam had also gone off her own food and wanted to only eat the one from the vets. Still just over a week later she's getting back to her usual self. She's alot more playful now and especially now she's got her cone of shame off. 

Phoenix the day of her surgery 
Then gradually feeling better 
Visiting the vets for a checkup this week. She loves going to the vets 
This morning I took her for a longer walk as she's only been going round the block. As she was more herself I thought I'd take her to the Point for a walk. Well that was the plan. Instead she took me for a walk and ended up running so fast that I could barely keep up with her so I gave in and took her lead off and let her run her energy off. 

Phoenix taking me for a walk earlier 


 

Comments

Popular Posts